Saturday, August 20, 2011

Do you like?


There seems to be an apparently mis-communication in the Taiwanese education system with the verbs ‘like’ and ‘want.’ This has been evident with my host family in the week that I have lived with them.

Host brother: Carlos, do you like ice cream.
Me: Yes, I like ice cream.
Host brother: Mother, Carlos wants ice cream, he likes it a lot and wants to eat it.
Host mother: Husband, let’s get Carlos some ice cream.
Me: I don’t want any ice cream right now.
Everyone: (confusion ensues)

Another prime example of where the Taiwanese confuse the verb ‘like’ with the verb ‘want.’

Host brother: Carlos, do you like mountain climbing.
Me: (with my inability to express a mild liking for things I say…) Yes, I like it a little.
Host brother: Mother, Carlos loves mountains and climbing them.
Host mother: I will call my sister, she lives near a mountain we can climb. Tomorrow morning we will go, okay?
Me: I don’t want to go mountain climbing today or tomorrow.
Everyone (confusion ensues)

1 comment:

  1. I can totally identify with this post. Extremely funny.

    ReplyDelete