Thursday, September 16, 2010

Represent the big O.K.

After four years of college I think I finally have the science of presentations imprinted in my brain. Today was the day that I gave my presentation on Oklahoma. The weird thing is that I can’t say I was nervous or did I stumble at all. Representing Oklahoma is fun, and the best part is that no one can prove me wrong cause apparently I am some kind of ‘expert’ on Oklahoma. I totally over-played the Native American and Cowboy cultures though and I think that everyone in China now thinks that Oklahomans are either cowboys or Indians.

All this time I had been thinking that my presentation wasn’t going to be what they expected – but apparently there were no expectations set. I was the second one to present and it lasted for about 20 minutes of Oklahoma – who knew that our state was so cool! They were amazed that Tulsa, Oklahoma is such a diverse and global place. Also, that we teach Chinese! All the delegates and the foreign affairs office were surprise to know that I had learned Chinese in middle school and that we have a sister city and that we love China! Oh, and apparently our Census is really hard to understand when it comes to ‘race.’ A lot of folks were confused when I presented about demographics.

Other cool things going on:
1. We had a kung fu class the other day. Master Meng was great and so graceful! So watch out cause I can now bust a head open with my first, karate chop, and do a really cool serpent pose.
2. I have decided to learn Swedish. Helena and Theres are really good teachers! I can say the days of the week and introduce myself. Also, I will probably be learning the “Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes” song in Swedish (I will then know it six languages)!
3. I miss guacamole!

(Post comments! I love to hear what you think!)

4 comments:

  1. Din blogg är underbar. Jag älskar dig och jag saknar dig. Jag kan mig inte vänta att höra att du sjunger svenska till mig! Tack berätta Helena och Theres hello. Och bjuder dem till Caravaaaaaaan!

    Whit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viva Mexico, mi Carlitos! This is so awesome - you should have said Cowboys, Indians and Charros,tho

    ReplyDelete
  3. CarlosMASTER, China is a better place because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Caitlin... Come home and I'll throw you in a big vat of guacamole and cook gigantic chip shovels to eat our way out :)

    ReplyDelete