Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Carlos' Underwear Wash, LLC

Do you need your underwear hand washed? If you answered yes, then I am your man.

Today, for the first day since my arrival, I needed to do some laundry. There are a few rules with the laundry man on campus: 1. He will sort you clothes and tell you how many batches you have, 2. No underwear, and 3. You dry your own clothes.

First I gathered all my dirty clothes and walked over to the laundry man. I call him the laundry man because I think he lives in the laundry room, because the room just has some shelves, about 4 washing machines, some laundry detergent, and then a curtain. What’s behind the curtain? I don’t know (nobody knows!), but I am pretty sure that when I went to pick up the laundry the said ‘laundry man’ was sleeping behind the mysterious curtain.

Anyway, each batch only cost 6 元(the exchange rate is about 6.7 Yuan/USD)。 That is less than a dollar, A DOLLAR! So I took in two pairs of jeans (yes, I had been wearing the same two pairs off and on for two weeks – don’t judge!) and 6 t-shirts. This constituted to be two batches, so that total was 12 Yuan! It takes about an hour then you go and pick up your wet clothes. Yes, WET CLOTHES and then you have to figure out how to dry it! I borrowed some hangers from Helena (Swedish lady form Kalix!), but then decided that I would be a little craftier – so, I constructed a clothesline in my room from floss! It works great! Floss is made of really strong string – must be the extra mint flavor in it!

After that, I had to wash my underwear by hand. It took about 5 minutes and I got really good at it. Clean underwear and clean clothes – now I can wear clothes that doesn’t smell and people will want to be my friend again! So, if you are ever caught with a broken washing machine and your laundry man wont wash your underwear, give me a call, for I will be opening Carlos’ Underwear Wash, LLC upon my return.

1 comment: